How does Elumen Lighting Network succeed in generating energy savings of up to 73%?
The answer lies in the unique way that Elumen blends three forward-looking technologies: LED technology, Lightspread technology and OptiAC power conversion technology.
LIGHT EMITTING DIODES (LED)
Research investment in solid-state lighting sources is accelerating. Continuing improvements in LED technology are expected to provide increasingly affordable, environmentally friendly illumination that will revolutionize the way we use artificial light.
LED technology provides the base for Elumen streetlighting products. Thousands of LED sources, laid out in a matrix pattern, combine to provide a concentrated and directional light source. Elumen’s unique Lightspread technology then ensures that very near 100% of the light generated is spread accurately and evenly.
At the core of Lightspread technology is the unique 6-position articulating head that is standard on each Elumen streetlight.
The articulating head allows for precise positioning of the coverage area and all but eliminates hot spots and waste of light due to overlap or random spillage. The field of illumination is uniform and light intensity is nearly the same at a distance of 2.25 times the height of the lamppost as it is directly beneath the source.
Note: In comparison, a typical sodium fixture will lose 40% of its light within the fixture head and 50% of the remaining light is focused in a hot spot directly below the lamp.
OptiAC power conversion technology ensures that every possible unit of energy is transformed into light.
The OptiAC converter provides a conversion efficiency of 96% with a power factor of .98 and very low total harmonic distortion (<10%). The unique age compensating algorithm ensures that photometric output is uniform over the long life
of the fixture (minimal lumen depreciation).
OptiAC goes a step further by automatically adapting to electrical inputs varying from 90 to 300 VAC.
- Midnight Dimming Option AM
Midnight dimming is a totally unique option that can be integrated into Elumen fixtures. Without any outside prompting the Elumen microprocessor will adjust to prevailing lighting schedules and dim output to 50% intensity from 23h30 through to 5h30 further increasing energy savings.
- 100% intensity at start-up
- Gradual reduction to 50% intensity approximately at 11h30PM
- Gradual increase back to 100% at 5h30AM if still dark outside
- No external input required
- Automatic compensation for winter and summer night durations
- Works completely off grid during the daytime (no power draw)
- 0-10Vdc Linear Dimming Option AL
Products associated with an active Dimming. Dimming permits the user to select a specific light output and power consumption to meet their requirements. The reduction in light output and power consumption are approximately proportional. Reducing the light output by 50% will reduce the power consumption by 50%. LEDs are particularly well suited for dimming as compared to other industrial light sources.
- Linear dimming input to control the light intensity from 30% to 100%
- Works with an external DC voltage signal (0 to 10Vdc)
- Motion Sensor Option AS
Luminaries associated with Motion sensor. The occupancy sensor allows the luminary’s instant-on and programmable dimming level capability to increase energy savings. Other industrial lighting sources such as HID fixtures do not offer instant-on capability.
- 50% intensity at start-up
- 100% intensity upon reception of external motion sensor signal (85-300VAC signal)
- Gradual reduction back to 50% intensity 10 minutes after signal is removed
- RTC Real Time Clock Options AR
Luminaries associated with Dimming control based on Real Time Clock. RTC allows single or multiple programmable Dimming Periods per Day with Programmable Light Intensity Level for each period. The light intensity during the transition change progressively. RTC reduce significantly the power consumption.
- Dimming control based on real time clock
- No external input required
- AR1 option: one programmable diming period per day with programmable light intensity level
- AR2 option: two programmable diming period per day with programmable light intensity level for each period
- Progressive change of light intensity
Elumen fixtures are designed to be completely forward compatible. The modular design allows LED arrays to be easily slipped out and replaced. By design, the OptiAC converter will then automatically adapt to new array power specifications and adjust power flow instantly.